12. august 2009

Man! I need a break.

Arrrghh! A common comicbook expression indicating frustration or pain.
I can hear this echoing in my mind more than I would like to admit.
Perhaps I read too many comic books as a kid.

Regardless of this fact, if it was not 'Arrrghh!' than it would have
probably been some other colourful profanity. (Not that I'd don't use
one every now and then.)

What's my point? My point is that every working stiff at some point
needs to come up for air. With all the noise and static that is our
lives, we need to occasionally step out of our life routines.

As an executive coach to many a busy person, I see and experience this
fact, if not every day, than at least every week. People get sucked
into the routines of their lives, like ships gets sucked into a
swirling whirlpool. Without conscious effort to escape the vortex,
the swirling waters eventually drowns them.

I presume that is why we some times say, 'We are drowning in work' or
'I can hardly keep my head above water'. It is not suprising to think
we can almost literally interpret this to be true.

If a person is not able to see an exit to a long and dark corridor, it
can have a huge impact on him/her psychologically. Their
motivativation and drive for work and life can very quickly dry up.
One day you wake up and realize there is no colour or spice left in
your routine-based existence.

This happens to all of us. Sometimes to get out of the rut requires
changing small aspects of our lives. Perhaps it is finding a new route
to drive to work. Maybe it's to discover a new jogging trail that
awakens some feeling of being lost.

Sometimes I'll call a friend to go to the movies. It is a simple way
to be (kind of) social and at the same time get lost in another
reality. Other times, I'll grab some book that I'm engrossed in and
head to a cafe that I haven't been to before. I enjoy a great coffee,
get lost in the pages of the book, and immerse myself in the new
environment.

If I am really bogged down in routine and it is smothering my sense of
growth and curioisty, I jump on a plane to check out a new city and
go exploring. Of course, this takes a little planning and extra
investment of resources. But that's what it is - an investment.

The ROI (return on investment) is substantial. When I return I am
reenergized and refocused. Getting away for a couple of days always
leaves me with new perspectives and makes me appriciate what I have.

Having a growing business, a wife with a professional career and three
kids under 5 years-old requires that I'm disciplined with my time.

I'd like to know what you do to step-back and gain perspective.

Cordially

Jason W Birkevold Liem
phone: (+47) 957 66 460
email: MINDtalk@email.com
web: www.MINDtalk.no
blog: www.jasonliem.blogspot.com
twitter: www.twitter.com/mindtalkcoach

Ingen kommentarer: