30. september 2009

Anthony Robbins & Psychology


I find that at least once a month I am going back to my collection of psychology text books from grad school to refresh my mind on a particular approach to counseling or clinical psychology. What usually triggers this can be simple curiosity or a client who presents a particular challenge.

I was not a student who followed any particular discipline or branch of psychology. I had, and still have, a rather eclectic interest in all things psychological. It was a couple of years after grad school that a buddy of mine gave me an Anthony Robbins archaic tape collection from the mid-80's. I listened to it and thought it was interesting enough, but it really didn't spark that intense of a curiosity.

It was not until a few years later that I was again reintroduced to Robbins by another friend who this time gave me an mp3 collection. By this time, Robbins had been in the business of helping people for 20 to 25 years. This time when I listened to him he caught my attention. He still had the same vitality and energy in his voice, but now it was tempered with experience and humility. I listened and I learned. What he had to say added very much to my schooling in psychology.

Back to my main point. When I return to my book case or my iTunes library, I find that I am listening more to Anthony Robbins. His way of helping people is highly-effective and compliments much that I learned studying clinical psychology.

So for any of you coaches out there (or anyone who is looking to change for the better), I would suggest listening to anything Robbins in the last decade or so.

I find listening to his audio products very engaging. As for seeing him live, I have not done that, yet. I don't think I would either. Why is that? It seems so evangelical and cult-ish. With the chanting and the cheering.

Perhaps with time my views will change. Until that time, I think I'll stick with the mp3s and the insight and useful skills and techniques for helping people.

Ingen kommentarer: