2. juni 2009

Basis of Identity

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, my methodology of coaching is a collection from a broad spectrum of psychology. What I will do in the next few postings is to elaborate at a more detailed level what I do and how I do it.

I base most of my coaching on the idea of the self-concept, which is better known as a person's identity. This identity or self-concept influences how, for example, you interpret and interact with the world. It also strongly influences your behavior, attitudes, opinions and decisions. This
entry is going to introduce the model of the self-concept that I use when coaching.

Your self-concept (SC) in the simplest terms is who you believe you are. It is based on three categories; your values, your competenciesand your character traits.

If you imagine yourself at a business mixer, a convention, a party of any other type of engagement where you meet new people. When you introduce yourself or people introduce themselves to you it typically begins with a name, job position, the company, responsibilities,
location and so on. As the conversation continues likes and dislike may be shared, hobbies, interests, places traveled as well any number of other points of interest. Basically, the both of you are trying to formulate a picture of who each other is and what each of you are about. What you tell each other, if not all, fall under the three categories of the SC mentioned earlier.

When you speak about what is important to you you are communicatingyour values.

When you speak about what you do, your education, your interests and hobbies you are communicating your competencies.

When you describe who you are of what you are you are communicating your character traits.

These components are key to helping clients work through their issues, because they directly influence how they behave, how they act or react and how they make decisions. I have only briefly detailed the components of the SC in this post. Since they are so relevant in my coaching practice I will dedicate an entire post to them next time.


Jason W Liem
www.MINDtalk.no
MINDtalk@email.com

Ingen kommentarer: